Kristin Ruggiero and Howard Handelman Latin American or Caribbean Field Research Award

The Ruggiero-Handelman Field Research Award is for field research in Latin America or the Caribbean. It is open to all majors, and there are no citizenship restrictions. The award amounts will depend on the budgeted expenses for the research. Priority is given to:

  • International travel expenses
  • Domestic travel expenses
  • Living expenses or other related fees

Any changes of plan with the field research must be approved by the Award Committee. Awards are intended mainly for summer field research but timing for field research may be adjusted on a case-by-case basis. Students planning a trip abroad for research for Spring 2022-Fall 2022 are encouraged to apply.

Eligible students are:

  • currently enrolled in a graduate degree program or a bachelor’s degree program with junior or senior standing
  • have documented plans to conduct field research in Latin America or the Caribbean lasting between 2 weeks and 4 months
  • have approval from the from the Institutional Review Board ( if your research involves human subjects

Kristin Ruggiero and the late Howard Handelman
varies - typically $1,000 to $1,200
Schools, Colleges, Departments, and Areas
Center for Latin American and Caribbean Studies, College of Letters and Science
Supplemental Questions
  1. Provide information about your proposed research.
    • Summarize the current state of research on this topic
    • What is the feasibility of your proposal (local contacts, timeline, previous experience)
    • What is the research problem/question you will be studying
    • What is the significance of the research for your field of study
    • What is your proposed travel destination in Latin America/Caribbean and why was it chosen
    • What is your research plan or methodology
    • When would your proposed travel take place
  2. Provide a budget for your research agenda or your proposed travel, indicating a total and specifying the breakdown of expenses.
  3. Upload a copy of your undergraduate transcript (an unofficial copy is acceptable)
  4. Upload a copy of your graduate transcript (an unofficial copy is acceptable)
  5. Letter of Recommendation: Please provide the name and email address of a former or current professor who can provide a letter of recommendation on your behalf. Ideally, this individual should be from your area of study.
  6. Show 1 more