The Wisconsin Regents Opportunity Scholarship
The Wisconsin Regents Opportunity Scholarship is intended to recognize underrepresented and underserved students who have overcome adversity, demonstrated financial need, and possess records of merit that include strong academic performance, significant personal achievements, and service to their communities. The scholarship is awarded through the President’s Office to students who have been admitted to or are currently attending a university in the UW System.
The overall objective in establishing the Wisconsin Regents Scholarship is to provide financial support for deserving students at key points in their educational journeys, as they are being recruited, persisting, or nearing completion of their baccalaureate degrees. Among the important outcomes for this scholarship program will be an increase in the number of underrepresented and underserved students who enroll, persist, and graduate from our UW System universities. This scholarship is open to:
- Students who are currently enrolled at UWM main campus; have maintained good academic standing; making significant contributions to the campus environment, and are making progress toward the completion of their degrees
- Students who are currently enrolled at UWM main campus; have maintained good academic standing; made significant contributions to the campus environment; and are in the final semester of completing their degrees.
Awards ranging from a minimum of $2,500 to a maximum of $10,000 will be made to undergraduate degree-seeking students in recognition of their academic promise, academic progress, or their ability to complete their degrees in a timely manner. Award recipients will be publicly recognized at a fall 2021 meeting of the Board of Regents at UW-Madison.
• A Wisconsin resident
• Inclusion in an underserved or underrepresented community including African American, Latinx, Native American/American Indian, Southeast Asian, or low-income populations
• Demonstrated financial need (filed a FAFSA for the upcoming 2021-22AY)
• Strong academic performance with a minimum 2.75 cumulative grade point average
• Enrolled as a full-time equivalent undergraduate in any major field and remain a full-time equivalent student during the academic year
• Significant personal achievements
• A demonstrated record of service to home or university communities
• Evidence of their ability to overcome adversity