Department of Biological Sciences Graduate Student Awards
The Department of Biological Sciences offers several different scholarships and awards to graduate students in the program. The size of awards is variable, with an average value of $1,000.
This single application is used for students wishing to be considered for departmental scholarship and awards for the 2022-23 school year. Please note that information entered in the general UWM scholarship application will not be considered by the Biological Sciences Awards Committee. However, we encourage you to enter this information because it may help to match you with other scholarship opportunities.
Students must leave enough time prior to the application deadline for your letter of recommendation to be received. The letter of recommendation must be received by the deadline. Therefore, students are advised to apply well before the deadline of February 15th.
The following scholarships are available for 2022-23:
- Ruth I. Walker Awards – grants are given to high-achieving graduate students in support of their research and scholarly activities.
- Raymond E. Hatcher Memorial Scholarship – given to multiple upper-level undergraduate or graduate students with demonstrated high academic merit.
- Clifford H. Mortimer Award – given to multiple upper-level undergraduates and graduate students who are engaged in research related to water with a preference for students studying lakes and bodies of fresh water (limnology). Other graduate students not studying limnology may be considered.
- Joseph G. Baier Memorial Scholarship – given to one upper-level undergraduate or graduate student who is engaged in research with a preference for students researching immunology.
- Louise Neitge Mather Scholarship – eligible recipient will be a graduate student who is originally from Wisconsin with demonstrated financial need.
- Peter J. Salamun Scholarship – given to an upper-level undergraduate or a graduate student who is conducting research in plant sciences.