Department of Biological Sciences Undergraduate Student Awards
The Department of Biological Sciences offers several different scholarships and awards to undergraduate students in the program. The size of awards is variable, with an average value of $1,000.
This single application is used for students wishing to be considered for departmental scholarship and awards for the 2022-23 school year. Please note that information entered in the general UWM scholarship application will not be considered by the Biological Sciences Awards Committee. However, we encourage you to enter this information because it may help to match you with other scholarship opportunities.
Students must leave enough time prior to the application deadline for your letter of recommendation to be received. Therefore, students are advised to apply well before the deadline of February 15th.
The following scholarships are available for 2022-23:
- Ruth I. Walker Awards – given to high-achieving upper-level undergraduates in support of their scholarly research activity.
- Raymond E. Hatcher Memorial Scholarship – given to multiple upper-level undergraduate or graduate students with demonstrated high academic merit.
- Clifford H. Mortimer Award – given to multiple upper-level undergraduates and graduate students who are engaged in research related to water with a preference for students studying lakes and bodies of fresh water (limnology).
- Joseph G. Baier Memorial Scholarship – given to one upper-level undergraduates or graduate student who are engaged in research with a preference for students researching immunology.
- Peter J. Salamun Scholarship – given to an upper-level undergraduate or a graduate student who is conducting research in plant sciences.
- Robert Costello Botany Scholarship – given to an upper-level biology or conservation and environmental science majors conducting research in botany.